About Tofco: Our Mission and History
The Tobacco-Free Coalition of Oregon is an Oregon statewide not for profit corporation representing businesses, advocacy groups and individuals advocating for programs and policies that will decrease the toll of tobacco use in Oregon.
Helping people quit tobacco, stopping young people before they start and protecting everyone from secondhand smoke. The purpose of TOFCO, Inc, according to its bylaws, is:
1. To support and conduct non-partisan activities and programs to increase public awareness and support for addressing tobacco use in Oregon, the leading preventable causes of disease and premature death, with an emphasis on tobacco-use, and its impact on the health and economic well-being of Oregonians;
2. To raise, receive, administer and disburse funds and other resources to further the mission of decresing the toll of tobacco use in Oregon.
TOFCO was founded in 1995, to unite non-profit groups, businesses, community groups, county health departments and concerned Oregonians to address the deadly toll of tobacco-use. Since its inception, TOFCO has had a leading role in every major tobacco control effort in Oregon including:
- 1996 Ballot Measure 44 that raised the cigarette tax by $0.30 with 10% of the revenue dedicated to creation of the Oregon State Tobacco Prevention and Education Program (TPEP).
- In collaboration with TPEP and the Division of Medical Assistance Programs (DMAP), funded and supported the establishment of tobacco cessation coverage for Medicaid recipients via the Oregon Health Plan in 1998.
- 1996-2001 Supporting and then defending local smoke-free workplace ordinances. (ex. St. Helens, Eugene, and Philomath).
- 2001 Passage of first private employer smoke-free workplace law in Oregon.
- 2002 Ballot Measure 20 increased cigarette tax by $0.60 and earmarked a small portion of revenue to TPEP.
- 2003-2010 Restoration and preservation of TPEP funding.
- 2007 Passage of Oregon's current comprehensive smoke-free workplace law.
- 1996-2010 Anti-tobacco media and public advocacy work.
TOFCO has served as the frontline organization, ensuring that opinion leaders and legislators know the facts about tobacco’s toll in Oregon, the solutions to address this toll and how they can help.